Re: Two or three things I see coming in gnome-shell

Am 29.01.2012 11:38, schrieb Jasper St. Pierre:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 5:32 AM, informalibre montceau
> <informalibre montceau gmail com> wrote:
>> - Better management of evolution and rhythmbox as background
>> Problem:
>> There are often many applications already launched and the two applications
>> should not remain there permanently open and takes up space. Yet we need to
>> open evolution to see if we receive new messages. And we keep open rhythmbox
>> since we're listening to music
>> Solution:
>> Ensure that Evolution is running in the background but without a GUI and /
>> or have a daemon that checks the mail. For rhythmbox, make music playback or
>> radio is being transferred to a body that plays the songs, Rhythmbox will
>> close but in this instance the notification area will continue to play
>> songs.
>
> Put them on their own workspace and ignore them?

This is the only proposed way of using the shell that I can't really accept.
I used to put Thunderbird and Banshee on the last/lowermost desktop and
tried to ignore them. That lead to me first putting windows on the first
four desktops to be able to park the named applications on the 5th one
without having to switch over that desktop all the time. (Having 4
desktops in a row for regular use.) Now I cannot take advantage of
dynamic creation of new desktops anymore.

The new approach I use since a few weeks is starting TB/Banshee first
when I login and using the auto move windows extension to have firefox
and pidgin (most used applications on my "default" desktop) on the
second desktop, which acts as the main one then. Therefore, I can still
have the shell append new desktops without distracting me by switching
over desktops I'm supposed to ignore.

Both approaches are more workaround than elegant, so I would love a way
to have applications run headless. Maybe with some kind of special
indication in the dash that they are running, everything else can be
dealt with using normal notifications.

Marcel