Re: Gnome Shell Extensions isn't shipped with Gnome Shell, WHY?!

On 22/08/12 12:28, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 19:59 +0200, Clemens wrote:
>

>> Not everybody wants to have a dock to launch application. I have never
>> used the "dock" inside the overview or dash and in the 2 days i was
>>  using that the dock was the most annoying thing.
>> imho alt + f2 is much faster than using the mouse and click. I have
>> only one extension
>
> Yep, count me as one.  I just can't see the purpose for a dock or
> advanced dock.  I use the GNOME3 activity 'toolbar' (I suppose it is a
> kind of dock) a few times when I first login [so that is a few times a
> day].  But once work is underway it is all Alt+F1..a-few-keystrokes or
> the GNOME Activity Journal - or else just Alt-Tab / Alt-`.
>
> The notion that people are constantly starting applications honestly
> baffles me.  Starting an application happens once a day, if that (less
> often if your hardware correctly supports suspend/hibernate).

Docky is more than a simple quickstartbar. Sure it's nice to start my
favorite apps with one click, but i also like the simple way of
switching to an app with one click or switching through the apps windows
with the mouse wheel.
Identifing the app i want to use through the apps icon (which are more
an less at the same spatial position) is much easier for me than
switching to the overview and searching my two monitors for the
rectangle which could be my app. The same goes for alt-tab, it searching
versus just clicking on the icon.
I don't even use the 'advanced' gadgets.

I'm not saying gnome-shell needs a builtin dock, but for me, i can't
imagine working without it (and i tried).