Re: Gnome Shell Extensions isn't shipped with Gnome Shell, WHY?!

Hmm.. now that the good ol' Hibernate/Power/Suspend thing gets brought
back up.... have they done anything to actually let people know you
can press Alt to get those options?

I am definitely on the "need to have all 3 options" camp, but I can
see some sense in the other argument.  I still, however, cannot
understand how a user can be left at only guessing how to even turn
off their computer.  I mean, let's say first time you boot up Linux,
it's on a LiveCD (which is an EXTREMELY likely scenario).  You play
around, decide you like it, and then go to turn off your system...
SURPRISE! no option for it... what kind of image does that give you?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Gnome 3.  I've been using it since beta and
am quite happy with it.  But there are 3 MAJOR flaws with it, and I
will continue to argue those any time an opportunity arises (in hope
that somehow someone might realize the problems and fix them, or at
least deal with them somehow).

1. Hiding ESSENTIAL functions of the system from the user without
informing them how to access them.
2. Workspace management.  (Displaying windows from other desktops in
Alt+Tab defeats the purpose, dynamic workspaces make it harder to
remember what's in each desktop, vertical stack makes it really slow
to move between them when you have 5+)
3. Application centered.  (Goes against the whole principle of staying
on task.  If I have different windows of the same application open,
it's because they're being used for different tasks.  Having to alt+`
to switch between windows and alt+tab to switch between apps just
doesn't make ANY sense to me.)

Now, this is strictly talking about a vanilla Gnome experience, and
since I now know everything I do about Gnome 1 and 3 don't affect me.
Unfortunately 2 I still have to deal with.  Even if I use one of those
extensions for static desktops, it's not anywhere near the same as the
grid system.

And for new users, I think 1 is crucial... I had a friend who tried
Linux, and he called me flipping out because he couldn't turn off his
computer.