Re: Concerning the javascript code location and extensions

2011/9/2 Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org>
2011/9/2 Milan Bouchet-Valat <nalimilan club fr>
This can be easily done with a small JS extension, if it doesn't already
exists. (Though, from a design POV, I really doubt moving the bar to the
bottom is a good idea, since you need to put the messaging bar somewhere
else.)

Moving the bar is easy, but making it work at the new position will be tricky - for instance, all menus will still open below the bar (read: offscreen), and changing this from an extension will require some rather ugly hacks.

In fact, given that GNOME Shell is a desktop interface (rather than a platform to build desktop interfaces), if you really insist on creating a windows-like interface based on GNOME Shell,a fork is probably a better option (despite the obvious downsides).

> So in order to keep the old environment we would need to keep G2 and
> G3 on the default system, and that would take just to much space for
> our Install CDs.
Probably not. gnome-panel+metacity (GNOME3 fallback mode) don't take up
much space since most of their dependencies are needed by GNOME3
anyways. You would only need to port your changes to gnome-panel 3,
which might be easy if you don't use too many deprecated internals.

 I second that - GNOME3 fallback is much closer to being a platform to build-your-own than GNOME Shell. To get some more GNOME3 niceness, it is also possible to use gnome-panel + standalone mutter (for attached modal dialogs, tiling, improved theming ...).

Florian

Hi all,

The team of the Guadalinex distro (I'm included) already has a couple of extensions that transforms Gnome Shell into a "Gnome 2 / Windows-like" desktop.
This is because an incoming version, called GECOS, addresses a very specific group of users.

We develop two extensions,
https://code.launchpad.net/~guadalinex-members/gnome-shell-extension-reflection/trunk
https://code.launchpad.net/~guadalinex-members/gnome-shell-extension-windowslist/trunk

and also use a modified version of the following: applications-menu, panel-favorites and move-clock
https://code.launchpad.net/~guadalinex-members/gnome-shell-extension-applications-menu/gecos
https://code.launchpad.net/~guadalinex-members/gnome-shell-extension-panel-favorites/gecos
https://code.launchpad.net/~guadalinex-members/gnome-shell-extension-move-clock/gecos

Hope this help you.