Re: Concerning the javascript code location and extensions

Le mercredi 31 août 2011 à 10:01 -0400, D.H. Bahr a écrit :
> We would use this for changing the Information Architecture of the
> shell itself.
> Allow me to explain myself: our biggest client is the Public Sector
> which is instructed to migrate from privative to free software thus
> becoming our goal to provide a system that facilitates this process.
> That is why the previous versions of our system (Nova GNU/Linux) have
> a Windows-like look. For our next version, planned for release on
> February 2013, we would like to modify the shell so it looks as
> Windows-like as possible, but without removing the possibility of
> trying the shell itself as a GDM session. In short we need two
> separates GDM sessions: one for the original shell and another one for
> our Windows-like one.
I'd rather keep your current Windows-like desktop as the default
session, and provide the original GNOME Shell as an option in GDM.
Transforming the Shell into a Windows desktop isn't going to be easy, as
they are quite different.

> We are also concerned that the inclusion of many extensions might
> lower the overall system performance, since it is more javascript code
> that will be loaded.
I don't think adding a few JS files would affect the performance, since
the Shell already contains quite a few of them anyways.

> Currently we are looking at the Shell more as a platform for Desktop
> Development than as a Desktop itself.
What Jasper said, but it doesn't quite make sense to me to rewrite
something looking like Windows from the GNOME3 development platform...
What would the advantages be, compared with your current
implementation ?

Regards