Re: The good, the bad, the insane

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 21:38 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam redhat com> wrote:
> > (This is actually one area where the kernel folks and distros - like us!
> > - seriously need to pull their finger out and either fix up the current
> > hibernate code, or swallow their pride and merge in either tuxonice or
> > uswsusp, like now; there's no reason hibernate should suck anywhere near
> > as badly as it currently does. I suspect what the Shell designers would
> > really like to do by default is hybrid suspend, like on Macs, but this
> > is rather impractical given that you can't actually _do_ hybrid suspend
> > on Linux, yet, with a stock setup.)
> >

> I completely agree with you that we should hybrid suspend instead of
> normal suspend. Infact, if I remember correctly, both tuxonice and
> uswsusp already support hybrid suspend.

My reading of the situation is that uswsusp has quite limited support
for hybrid suspend; tuxonice's is better, but tuxonice relies on
non-upstreamed kernel changes. They seem to be getting upstreamed, but
very slowly.

My understanding of uswsusp may be out of date, though - it doesn't help
that it doesn't seem to be packaged in Fedora, for no reason I can
discern. I should really get around to building it and testing it out.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey