Re: The good, the bad, the insane

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam redhat com> wrote:
> (This is actually one area where the kernel folks and distros - like us!
> - seriously need to pull their finger out and either fix up the current
> hibernate code, or swallow their pride and merge in either tuxonice or
> uswsusp, like now; there's no reason hibernate should suck anywhere near
> as badly as it currently does. I suspect what the Shell designers would
> really like to do by default is hybrid suspend, like on Macs, but this
> is rather impractical given that you can't actually _do_ hybrid suspend
> on Linux, yet, with a stock setup.)

I completely agree with you that we should hybrid suspend instead of
normal suspend. Infact, if I remember correctly, both tuxonice and
uswsusp already support hybrid suspend.

The only reason I can think of not doing this, is that it might be too
slow in some exceptional cases. Those can be mitigated by things like
asynchronous hibernate (write the hibernate data after suspending all
programs, and most of the hardware), and background copying of in-RAM
data to the hibernate file while the computer is running, in
anticipation of a hybrid suspend.

Note that the ideas listed above may be horribly wrong for reasons I
don't know, but the point is that this is a technical problem that's
merely hard to solve.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team