Re: The good, the bad, the insane

On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 22:23 +0200, Rovanion Luckey wrote:

> Hibernate and not Suspend should had been the only option shown in the
> menu when thinking of the computer as a computer and not a phone. It
> quickly takes the user back to the state which the computer was when
> it was hibernated and does not consume a lot of unnecessary energy.
> But even so, neither suspend nor hibernate works on all computers.

There's two problems with hibernate: it almost never works, and it's
really slow.

(This is actually one area where the kernel folks and distros - like us!
- seriously need to pull their finger out and either fix up the current
hibernate code, or swallow their pride and merge in either tuxonice or
uswsusp, like now; there's no reason hibernate should suck anywhere near
as badly as it currently does. I suspect what the Shell designers would
really like to do by default is hybrid suspend, like on Macs, but this
is rather impractical given that you can't actually _do_ hybrid suspend
on Linux, yet, with a stock setup.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey