Re: We want task bar back. Pretty please.

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 11:37 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Denys Vlasenko <dvlasenk redhat com>
> wrote:
>         On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 10:08 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
>         > On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Denys Vlasenko
>         <dvlasenk redhat com>
>         > wrote:
>         >         Is it a policy of Gnome Desktop to shoehorn users
>         into fixed
>         >         UI style
>         >         instead of offering them reasonable choice? What
>         next,
>         >         hardwired window
>         >         title color and size?
>         >
>         > There is no policy as such.  As I said earlier, why not try
>         it first
>         > and see how it works before criticizing the design?
>         >
>         > I'm a systems administrator I have a ton of windows open, I
>         used to
>         > use the taskbar, and I don' and it's been okay for me.
>          While
>         > something was taken away,
>

>         Why something has to be taken away? I mean, unconditionally?
>         There is a better way: (a) make it configurable, (b) make it
>         "off" by default. If almost no one switches it back on, great,
>         it means practice proved that the replacement is better,
>         and it can be removed altogether.
>         If many people switch it back on, then perhaps it needs to
>         stay.
>

> The default configuration is bare.. it's been like that even with
> GNOME 2.  Your distro puts a bunch of stuff in there to enhance the
> experience.  It's relatively the same with GNOME 3.

I *am* on my distro. Fedora 15 is this >< close to a final freeze. Not
much, if anything, can be added to F15 at this time. What I describe in
this thread is what is about to be experienced by many, many Fedora
users.

I am pretty sure even bare Gnome 2 has a panel at the top of the screen.
It has no app icons by default, yes, but you can trivially add them
by right-clicking app menu items. With Gnome 3, I have a black panel
there which still takes up the same screen real estate but doesn't seem
to support app icons. How is this an improvement?

--
vda