Re: We want task bar back. Pretty please.

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Denys Vlasenko <dvlasenk redhat com> wrote:
I just installed F15 (Rawhide). It uses Gnome 3.

I resisted the temptation to switch to Fallback mode, because
quick googling showed me that Fallback mode will be phased out
in not-so-distant future. Therefore I am using the new interface.

My general impression as a user is negative.
A lot of things have changed for no apparent reason, even those
things which worked just fine. Why?

To facilitate a more productive discussion, I will limit my
rants^W feedback to one per email. So, here it goes:

                       Where is the task bar?

Most of the answers regarding the design can be found here:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/FAQ

GNOME 3 is designed to be task oriented and distraction free.  Feel free to peruse the FAQ as it explains some of the reasoning behind the design decisions that were made.

You have access to the task bar in the overview.  I realize it is a large change from what you're used to but I suggest you stick with it and try it for a week to 10 days.  That will give you a chance to absorb things being done the new way.

sri