Re: We want task bar back. Pretty please.

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 08:30 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Denys Vlasenko <dvlasenk redhat com>
> wrote:
>         To facilitate a more productive discussion, I will limit my
>         rants^W feedback to one per email. So, here it goes:
>
>                                Where is the task bar?
>
> Most of the answers regarding the design can be found here:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/FAQ

Sure. From the FAQ:

> Why no window list or dock?

> The Shell is designed in order to minimise distraction and interuption
> and to enable users to focus on the task at hand. A persistent window
> list or dock would interfere with this goal, serving as a constant
> temptation to switch focus. The separation of window switching
> functionality into the overview means that an effective solution to
> switching is provided when it is desired by the user, but that it is
> hidden from view when it is not necessary.

I disagree. Not all people are the same. Task bar does not distract me.
I find its removal counter productive. Again, I have no problem if it
would be made configurable and can be turned off. Freedom and choice is
good (when not taken to the extremes).

Is it a policy of Gnome Desktop to shoehorn users into fixed UI style
instead of offering them reasonable choice? What next, hardwired window
title color and size?

--
vda