Re: We want task bar back. Pretty please.

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Denys Vlasenko <dvlasenk redhat com> wrote:
On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 10:08 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Denys Vlasenko <dvlasenk redhat com>
> wrote:
>         Is it a policy of Gnome Desktop to shoehorn users into fixed
>         UI style
>         instead of offering them reasonable choice? What next,
>         hardwired window
>         title color and size?
>
> There is no policy as such.  As I said earlier, why not try it first
> and see how it works before criticizing the design?
>
> I'm a systems administrator I have a ton of windows open, I used to
> use the taskbar, and I don' and it's been okay for me.  While
> something was taken away,

Why something has to be taken away? I mean, unconditionally?
There is a better way: (a) make it configurable, (b) make it
"off" by default. If almost no one switches it back on, great,
it means practice proved that the replacement is better,
and it can be removed altogether.
If many people switch it back on, then perhaps it needs to stay.

The default configuration is bare.. it's been like that even with GNOME 2.  Your distro puts a bunch of stuff in there to enhance the experience.  It's relatively the same with GNOME 3.

As someone mentioned earlier, there are extensions that can put a taskbar on your screen or you can use any number of third party apps like Docky or AWN that can give you similar features.  My GNOME 3 setup still runs docky because there are some things that GNOME 3 doesn't provide that I require.  You're not going to get the perfect desktop from just the default setup.  A combination of extensions, and third party apps and I'm a happy camper.

So somethings that you might be taken away, in favour of something better.  However, there are applications, extensions, a tweak tool will put back most of the experience back.

The point though is that you should try it for a week as is.  You might learn something.  If there is something you're missing then discuss it here.

sri