Re: Workspaces, applications, tasks and gnome-shell

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 12:26 -0600, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:14, Juan Manuel Santos
> <vicariousdm gmail com> wrote:
>         On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Onyeibo Oku
>         <twohotis gmail com> wrote:
>                 Yeah, I have a problem with that too.  It should allow
>                 insertions. Although its crazy having more than 4->6
>                 Workspaces.  Four(4) is mostly sufficient but ... I
>                 like the freedom though.
>

>         Just FTR, I use a 3x3 array of virtual desktops on my KDE (no,
>         I do not use GS though I have tried it). It's not that crazy
>         when you have many open apps and you like having them
>         fullscreen'ed on a virtual desktop of its own.
>
>         It makes expo ("overview" in GS) harder to use as more virtual
>         desktops mean harder-to-identify windows. But personally I use
>         expo to move windows around to their approppriate desktop, OR
>         when I feel that a window had opened behind a full screen
>         window, in order to get to it and move it to the right desktop
>         (e.g. if someone messaged me and the IM window opened behind
>         my web browser).
>

> Just to make it absolutely clear: there is no grid view in GNOME Shell
> master and hasn't been for 1.5 months. The organisation of workspaces
> (*if* they are created by the end user, they aren't there by default)
> will return in the form of thumbnails off to the side of the current
> workspace view. See here: http://jimmac.musichall.cz/log/?p=1126

+1 for me if they can be rearranged by drag'n'drop.
+2 if they can be labelled
-1 for the running applications in separate workspace by default for me
(0 if I'm not forced to use this mode)

I have mixed feelings about 'delete empty workspaces' but I would have
to try it.

Regards