Re: Workspaces, applications, tasks and gnome-shell

On 01/04/2011 12:49 PM, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
<snip>
Forcing the application oriented view instead of file-oriented in GNOME 2[1]
(in current shell there is no recent files in overview even). It is IMHO bad
for several reasons:
<snip>
As I said user thinks in terms of writing mail, reading document etc.
They don't know what applications they are using so icons showing just
the applications are hard to use

+1. That's a strong point
*Recent Files* is totally absent. It was in the first preview but the performance was terrible. So, i guess they decided the implementation was expensive. However, its 100% essential for newbies!. It might be better to arrange the common application in the favourites bar by default and let the geeks make personal alterations later. I also don't see a tool-tip for the Favourites Bar. It is needed. Tips like 'Browse you Pictures', or ...'Check your Mail' help new people get acquainted with things.

<snip>
What can be done:

  - It would require modifying .desktop files but maybe the icons on LHS
should be for documentless applications (gwibber, evolution) and for
fields labbeled as 'Open new text document' (for gedit and/or
openoffice), 'Open new spreadsheet' (for gnumeric) etc.
  - Alternatively display GenericName if possible (for example instead of
Evolution display Groupware Suite). It would require lookup
into .desktop files however.

This is a strong point. While I don't miss those features, I definitely agree with you as I have to deal with people who don't fancy learning new computing tricks (the kind Linux provides). Majority use computers to solve basic everyday needs and don't care much about the Application name ... when they do try Gnome based applications... they wrongly prefix the name with 'Microsoft' :)

  - Allow searching for window titles in overview instead in
applications.

Not *rather than* ... but *In addition to ...*. I Use that Application Search. I believe everyone should be accommodated.

If I'm editing this e-mail I don't want to get main
Evolution screen so searching for 'Wor' should do the trick.
  - Preferably allow easy and non-js-only way of introducing search hooks
(say by zeitgeist, tracker or probably own API). Even if evolution
displays my Inbox searching from 'gnome.shell' should go to the
newsgroup (I'm viewing it via gmane but it can go to IMAP folder etc.)

huh? ... not very clear

<snip>

  - Normal users should be allowed to not notice workspaces at all
  - Power users should not be alienated - it is them who eventually may
contribute back

OK.  That should be principle guiding the design process.

Current gnome-shell model:

  - Array of workspaces which allow the random deletion but only tail
adding

Yeah, I have a problem with that too. It should allow insertions. Although its crazy having more than 4->6 Workspaces. Four(4) is mostly sufficient but ... I like the freedom though.

  - Overview mode have mixed view (displays windows from this workspace
but all applications so clicking terminal may switch workspace)

You lost me there.

What can be done (general):

  - Specify what exact model we have in mind when we talk about
workspaces
  - Check if it suits the user. If only powerusers use workspaces and
they find it too simply it possible time to add some features

This research is partially redundant because we mostly know what the average user deals with and have discussed it in different ways. Should we run off to gather data via questionnaires/on-line surveys? ... That will waste some time at this stage(not that it's a bad idea). What remains is a decision-making group that will collate the different user experiences (and contributions made here, in blogs, other forums etc..) and proffer a mean solution (not without the icing on the cake ... the new advances).

Its a give-and-take situation. As a Linux supporter I'm pro-masses (no, I don't mean we should water down the geeky bits ... not at all). I advocate a desktop that can win hearts easily and convince people to try something other than Windows while allowing the Power users the POWER to do their stuff.

What can be done (assuming I'm correct):

  - Make 'Open new<name>' workspace-specific. In my mindset it is
inconsistent if the same button either switches task or opens new in
current task

Huh? I don't get it :o

  - Allow persistent workspaces (i.e. if I quit with 4 workspaces log in
with 4 opened)

Great! If it can remember the usual applications too then that is fantastic.

  - [Extention but guaranteed to not break anything?] Allow rearranging
of workspaces
  - [Possibly?] Allow naming (an searching?) workspaces [Needed by
libwnck - needed by EWNH and ICCCM?]

Regards

General I agree that the newer features should be presented in such a way to encourage adaptation. Once the user begins to ask, 'How do I check my mail?' .... you have a situation. Maybe we should have a balloon notifier pop up over the 'Activities' button soon after logging in saying 'click me for more ...' Intuitive? :)

Regards

Oku, C