Workspaces, applications, tasks and gnome-shell

Sorry for starting new thread but I find no place to hook into previous
one.

I'd like to discuss a few aspects of use gnome-shell. While all can be
implemented as extention I'm not sure if such deep integration will not
destroy the integration.

Current status is that the gnome-shell is application oriented in
similar way as phones under some assumptions and that is bad. Some users
don't know what application they're using - I overhear talk when one
respond he does not know what program he's using to write text. Forcing
the application oriented view instead of file-oriented in GNOME 2[1] (in
current shell there is no recent files in overview even). It is IMHO bad
for several reasons:

 - As I said user thinks in terms of writing mail, reading document etc.
They don't know what applications they are using so icons showing just
the applications are hard to use
 - If (power)user wants to have many windows it is harder to navigate.
And some more-then-normal-but-less-then-super users do (I know
50-year-old person who use multiply windows and regret that Windows does
not have always-on-top feature)
 - It changes application development by π - multiply windows
recommended so far makes application harder to use.
 - It promotes separate application development rather then integration.
Application is visible - not part of user experience and implementation
detail

What can be done:

 - It would require modifying .desktop files but maybe the icons on LHS
should be for documentless applications (gwibber, evolution) and for
fields labbeled as 'Open new text document' (for gedit and/or
openoffice), 'Open new spreadsheet' (for gnumeric) etc.
 - Alternatively display GenericName if possible (for example instead of
Evolution display Groupware Suite). It would require lookup
into .desktop files however.
 - Allow searching for window titles in overview instead in
applications. If I'm editing this e-mail I don't want to get main
Evolution screen so searching for 'Wor' should do the trick.
 - Preferably allow easy and non-js-only way of introducing search hooks
(say by zeitgeist, tracker or probably own API). Even if evolution
displays my Inbox searching from 'gnome.shell' should go to the
newsgroup (I'm viewing it via gmane but it can go to IMAP folder etc.)

Other part of the problem is the workspaces. It depends on what
particular power user is doing but:

 - Some separates fullscreen applications by them (personally I think it
should be addressed by other mechanism)
 - Some design one-workspece-per-task. For example if I'm doing 3
projects + 1 work each will have the currently opened text editor,
terminal and browser window. Additionally first one will be used on
general windows (like mail client). I don't want to be forced to reopen
them each time I change task (say finish part of one project, check mail
and find bug reported in another one)
 - ...

In following part I'll assume that I'm correct but it may happen there
are better use of workspaces. However:

 - Normal users should be allowed to not notice workspaces at all
 - Power users should not be alienated - it is them who eventually may
contribute back

Current gnome-shell model:

 - Array of workspaces which allow the random deletion but only tail
adding
 - Overview mode have mixed view (displays windows from this workspace
but all applications so clicking terminal may switch workspace)

What can be done (general):

 - Specify what exact model we have in mind when we talk about
workspaces
 - Check if it suits the user. If only powerusers use workspaces and
they find it too simply it possible time to add some features

What can be done (assuming I'm correct):

 - Make 'Open new <name>' workspace-specific. In my mindset it is
inconsistent if the same button either switches task or opens new in
current task
 - Allow persistent workspaces (i.e. if I quit with 4 workspaces log in
with 4 opened)
 - [Extention but guaranteed to not break anything?] Allow rearranging
of workspaces
 - [Possibly?] Allow naming (an searching?) workspaces [Needed by
libwnck - needed by EWNH and ICCCM?]

Regards

[1] http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/2.32/windows-primary.html.en