Re: Workspaces, applications, tasks and gnome-shell

Am Dienstag, den 04.01.2011, 12:49 +0100 schrieb Maciej Piechotka:
> Current status is that the gnome-shell is application oriented in
> similar way as phones under some assumptions and that is bad. Some users
> don't know what application they're using
>  - As I said user thinks in terms of writing mail, reading document etc.
> They don't know what applications they are using so icons showing just
> the applications are hard to use
That's especially true for occasional users coming from other OS who
don't know that the CD/DVD burner in Gnome is called Brasero (as an
example).

> - It promotes separate application development rather then integration.
> Application is visible - not part of user experience and implementation
> detail
Right. One of the most impressive fact for people (coming from other OS)
working on my computer (running Gnome) is the tight and comprehensible
integration and simplicity of the environment. Please keep this the
default.

> - Allow searching for window titles in overview instead in
> applications. If I'm editing this e-mail I don't want to get main
> Evolution screen so searching for 'Wor' should do the trick.
I really, really love this idea. It's great!

> - Some separates fullscreen applications by them (personally I think it
> should be addressed by other mechanism)
I agree. I often run applications in fullscreen (since my low resolution
monitor) and I still see problems with window switching and DnD support
for this case.

> - Normal users should be allowed to not notice workspaces at all
Or at least as possible. Most of my (non-techie) friends really don't
know what workspaces are. For them, multiple desktops just cause massive
confusion (where are my windows...). I, in contrast, use workspaces
extensively (minimum 6) and want to keep them.

At least, workspace indicators should be big enough and easy to
recognize. Personally, I think they are slightly underrepresented.

> - Make 'Open new <name>' workspace-specific. In my mindset it is
> inconsistent if the same button either switches task or opens new in
> current task
>  - Allow persistent workspaces (i.e. if I quit with 4 workspaces log in
> with 4 opened)
>  - [Extention but guaranteed to not break anything?] Allow rearranging
> of workspaces
>  - [Possibly?] Allow naming (an searching?) workspaces [Needed by
> libwnck - needed by EWNH and ICCCM?]
All of these suggestions sound reasonable und useful to me.

Just take my comments as remarks of a interested user.
Thanks to all involved in Gnome.

Regards