Re: Workspaces, applications, tasks and gnome-shell

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 15:33 +0100, Onyeibo Oku wrote:
> On 01/04/2011 12:49 PM, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
> <snip>
> >   - Allow searching for window titles in overview instead in
> > applications.
>
> Not *rather than* ... but *In addition to ...*.  I Use that Application
> Search.  I believe everyone should be accommodated.

Yes - I was thinking about the same thing (just write not what I mean).

> > If I'm editing this e-mail I don't want to get main
> > Evolution screen so searching for 'Wor' should do the trick.
> >   - Preferably allow easy and non-js-only way of introducing search hooks
> > (say by zeitgeist, tracker or probably own API). Even if evolution
> > displays my Inbox searching from 'gnome.shell' should go to the
> > newsgroup (I'm viewing it via gmane but it can go to IMAP folder etc.)
>
> huh? ... not very clear

I meant that I would like to be able to search in current applications -
both in windows (like Evolution windows, "Wor" are three first letters
of "Workspaces, applications, tasks and gnome-shell") as well as other
things (say folks contacts, evolution folders).

> >   - Overview mode have mixed view (displays windows from this workspace
> > but all applications so clicking terminal may switch workspace)
>
> You lost me there.

I mean that in the same view the global and the workspace-specific
windows/application are mixed

> > What can be done (assuming I'm correct):
> >
> >   - Make 'Open new<name>' workspace-specific. In my mindset it is
> > inconsistent if the same button either switches task or opens new in
> > current task
>
> Huh? I don't get it :o

I mean that 'Open new terminal' button should open in current terminal.
I'm talking about 'magic button' which does 1 of the 2 tasks that are
separated in my mind:

 - Opening new application (say new terminal)
 - Switching to different task if application was opened there

It can be solved by having button 'Open new terminal' (or 'Open new text
document', 'Write an e-mail') in favourites.

Regards