Re: missing workflows with gnome-shell

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Alessandro Crismani <alessandro crismani gmail com> wrote:
Il giorno ven, 04/02/2011 alle 12.15 +0100, Milan Bouchet-Valat ha
scritto:
> > I believe fixed number of workspaces are something every developer
> > will have. May be we should try to implement in the core instead of
> > plugin ?
> I also feel like the Shell should allow people to have a fixed number
> of
> workspaces on start, while keeping the default behavior easy for most
> users.
> The problem is, it should not conflict with workspaces
> auto-management. See
> http://jimmac.musichall.cz/log/?p=1126

An extension has been posted on this list some time ago that offers
something similar. In particular, it allows opening different apps on a
fixed workspace, which is if it doesn't exist (think of it as a sort of
devilspie).

Yes, in fact you had posted a link to the extension some time back in November I believe.  The link to the sample extension is:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-shell-list/2010-November/msg00036.html

Compliments to Thomas Bouffon for his work.

sri

I'm using and loving it right now, with a configuration that sounds
like:
Chromium: Workspace 1
Evolution: Workspace 2
Rhythmbox: Workspace 3
GTG: Workspace 4

Those apps are autostarted when I log in, and the extension creates the
four workspaces and places them accordingly to the settings. If you only
need a fixed number of workspaces at startup you may modify it to suit
your needs.

If you are interested search the archive of the list for the extension.
I can't remember the topic, but I think it was posted by Thomas Bouffon,
if I am not mistaken.

Hope this helps you,
Alessandro