Re: missing workflows with gnome-shell

2011/2/4 Milan Bouchet-Valat <nalimilan club fr>:
> Le vendredi 04 février 2011 à 16:35 +0530, Sankar P a écrit :
>> I really want to use gnome-shell moving forward. However, these things
>> are kinda deal-killer for me. Are there any docs on how to write those
>> extensions that you mentioned ? I can try my hands over the weekend.
> See http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Extensions
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Development
> And http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell-extensions for examples.
>
>> I believe fixed number of workspaces are something every developer
>> will have. May be we should try to implement in the core instead of a
>> plugin ?
> I also feel like the Shell should allow people to have a fixed number of
> workspaces on start, while keeping the default behavior easy for most users.
> The problem is, it should not conflict with workspaces auto-management. See
> http://jimmac.musichall.cz/log/?p=1126
>
>> And one dumb question, should the plugins to gnome-shell also be
>> written in JavaScript ?
> Yes. But that's really an advantage, not a constraint. Writing an animation
> to hide the panel will be much nicer in JS than it would have been with C. Not
> even speaking of coding, you only need to drop one .js file to install
> you extension, and you can try it live; with C, you'd have needed
> Autotools, make install, and building it each time you want to test it.

Last time I looked at JS, I was kinda driven away by the fact that
there is no type safety and anything can be passed as anything. I
didn't feel too motivated to look into that then. May be it's time to
learn the programming language of the future and what better place to
start with than gnome-shell ;-)

Thanks. I will see if I can do something over the weekend. If any of
you have a better solution(s) already existing, please let me know.

--
Sankar P
http://psankar.blogspot.com