Re: Some small ideas for the Shell Panel and Overview

On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 00:28 +0200, Seif Lotfy wrote:

> I took the liberty to modify GNOME shell in a way I thought would be
> very intuitive to me. While it does introduce some clutter to the top
> panel it does allow quicker access to the applications and journal.
> Right now me and Federico are running this and are liking it in a way,
> since accessing a specific overview now is just one click away.

As Seif said, I like this a lot.  It gives you direct access to
present activities (windows), possible future activities (applications),
and past activities (journal).

It's like the old legend of people counting the number of clicks it took
to do things in the Palm Pilot and trying to reduce them, with great
results.

No doubt the actual labels can be improved.  "Overview" is nice, but why
not make its purpose more obvious and just make it say "Windows".

It's rather unfortunate that the three items push the app-menu way too
far to the right, but that menu is so weak right now that I wouldn't
mind losing it.

  Federico