Re: Some small ideas for the Shell Panel and Overview

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Federico Mena Quintero
<federico gnome org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 00:28 +0200, Seif Lotfy wrote:
>
>> I took the liberty to modify GNOME shell in a way I thought would be
>> very intuitive to me. While it does introduce some clutter to the top
>> panel it does allow quicker access to the applications and journal.
>> Right now me and Federico are running this and are liking it in a way,
>> since accessing a specific overview now is just one click away.
>
> As Seif said, I like this a lot.  It gives you direct access to
> present activities (windows), possible future activities (applications),
> and past activities (journal).

I really like the look of this. I think categorically it makes more
sense than the current system, that is it is clear that the three
items in the top panel are the the three modes of browsing things,
rather than the current style where they seem like descendents of the
abstract notion of 'Activities'.

How does your patch handle the case when the user clicks overview with
no open windows?

> It's like the old legend of people counting the number of clicks it took
> to do things in the Palm Pilot and trying to reduce them, with great
> results.
>
> No doubt the actual labels can be improved.  "Overview" is nice, but why
> not make its purpose more obvious and just make it say "Windows".
>
> It's rather unfortunate that the three items push the app-menu way too
> far to the right, but that menu is so weak right now that I wouldn't
> mind losing it.

I have previously mentioned this too. It not only lacks function but
looks visually it looks out of place.

In my use of the shell thus far I have *never* used the application
menu. Has anyone?