Re: NetworkManager dependency on Gnome-Shell

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 11:30 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

> Yes, that is an interesting use case.  Giovanni I think noted in
> another mail of yours that empathy looks at network manager status to
> know if it is connected or not.  If I read correctly, network manager
> is now the central place to managing network connections for the
> entire desktop.  So I reckon that even shell is monitoring the online
> status somehow.

When it's in use, it is, yes. But AFAIK, the intended behaviour is that
nothing should dumbly rely on NM; anything that can use it should check
whether the system is actually using NM, and behave sanely if it finds
that it isn't.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey