Re: Some small ideas for the Shell Panel and Overview

On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 10:44 -0500, Marshall Neill wrote:
> I looked at the 'new' interface and have only 1 suggestion and I am not
> sure how to convey this.
> Right-handed people would seem to look to the right and moving the mouse
> to the right is easier.
> So, with that thought in mind, move the Overwiew, Applications, Library
> to the right (flipped so to speak).
> In this way when the user moves the mouse to Applications the categories
> are immediately below.  No  moving from one side of the screen to the
> other.  Everything in one place.
> If the user is left-handed then move the category list to the other side
> of the iconized list of applications.
> Upon installation perhaps you could ask if the user is right-handed or
> left-handed with a radio button.  This would also be a possible to
> change the  mouse to left-handed.  You could explain how this will
> effect the interface with pictures,  as you do when the OS is installing.
> To carry the theme even further at install time, you could display sizes
> of icons on the panel.  Let them choose smaller, larger, whatever.
> Man, I hope I made myself clear.  It's hard to explain in text and so
> easy in images but I suck at creating images.

I have suggested this in the past, but not because of left handed people
(or anything of that sort) but for sake of proximity to the categories
and, more so, the new workspace panel(pane). It will also minimize mouse
movements across the screen.  Either that, or leave it as is, and flip
the activities overlay (dash goes to the right and workspace manager to
the left)

<!--although, I have another concept for dash and workspace manager that
is entirely different.  But that, another story -->