Re: Gnome objectives

Il giorno mer, 24/11/2010 alle 20.17 +0530, dE . ha scritto:
> > Alt+Tab for window switching is definately better than anything else
> > out there. It groups similar windows yet make it clear which window
> is
> > on what workspace. Very nice.
>
> I find groping windows a big disadvantage, both in the activity menu
> and the alt-tab grouping and here I'll state why -
>
> Suppose there are 2 instances of iceweasel running , and I wanna
> quickly switch among them, what do I have to do, method 1 -
>
> alt tab, unfortunately I have to alt tab many times to get to
> iceweasel since I'm running a few applications around, to top that
> off, the 2 instances of that Iceweasle will be stated as 1, as a
> result, I have to wait on  iceweasel till it shows the different
> instances running, and then I have to grab a hold of the mouse click
> on the desired instance (I dont know nor wanna know the shortcut
> bindings, nor does 95% of the world).

I also support the shell's Alt+Tab behaviour, even though sometimes I am
still confused by grouping. Despite this, switching apps from all
workspaces and showing only icons is *FAR* better than other available
solutions. Adding more, I tried KDE icons only Alt+Tab switching for all
workspaces, and when I have many apps open (let's say four terminals and
four gvims) it gets far more confusing than grouping.
Finally, *I* think that if you want to use Alt+Tab you are willing to
learn shortcuts.

Regarding other aspects of the shell, I am more productive when using it
because it hides unnecessary windows from my view when I do not need
them. I place what I currently need in a workspace and use Alt+Tab or
the overview to switch between windows. While doing this I am not
distracted by shiny taskbars, urgent windows, popups or anything which
disrupt my task. You might be right saying that some tasks require more
clicks to be accomplished, however I do not care as long as the shell
provides me the means to keep focused on what's on the current
workspace. Before using the gnome shell, I was in and out of compiz Expo
view and clicking every two seconds on taskbars, losing control over
what I was doing. Now I can't and I am glad for that, it improved my
ways of getting things done. You might say that I could have removed
taskbars and disabled Expo before, than the options left for switching
windows would have been definitely worse than what the shell offers now.
Summarising, read this paragraph as: people think that less clicks
equals to better design, for me it's not always true.

I am sorry if the shell is broken for you, however do consider that
other people (me) like it's behaviour, and do not find launchers on the
panel, taskbars, live previews Al+Tab or other existing solutions more
convenient.

Cheers,
Alessandro