Re: Gnome objectives

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Andreas Wallberg
<andreas wallberg gmail com> wrote:
>> 1) Which features of the gnome shell do you consider more ergonomic
>> than the classic gnome?
>
> Alt+Tab for window switching is definately better than anything else
> out there. It groups similar windows yet make it clear which window is
> on what workspace. Very nice.

I find groping windows a big disadvantage, both in the activity menu
and the alt-tab grouping and here I'll state why -

Suppose there are 2 instances of iceweasel running , and I wanna
quickly switch among them, what do I have to do, method 1 -

alt tab, unfortunately I have to alt tab many times to get to
iceweasel since I'm running a few applications around, to top that
off, the 2 instances of that Iceweasle will be stated as 1, as a
result, I have to wait on  iceweasel till it shows the different
instances running, and then I have to grab a hold of the mouse click
on the desired instance (I dont know nor wanna know the shortcut
bindings, nor does 95% of the world).

If I have the instances of iceweasel running in another desktop,
there's no way differentiate between the 2... how do I know which
iceweasel is running in which desktop? I have to wait and think.

Doing the same through the activity bar (method 2) -
right click on that iceweasel icon, and mysteriously it brings all the
iceweasel instance which might be running on multiple desktops to a
single desktop causing more confusion. The number of efforts required
to switch windows remains the same.

How does all that compare to a single click on the taskbar?

If you want to close all instances of a current running application,
it can be done using the classic interface (as I've stated in the
documentation I'm making) and by 2 clicks, no moving around of the
mouse, no shrinking of the desktop, nothing else.

> Most other implementations are far too
> busy. Right-clicking an application icon brings up all the currently
> running instances of that application, which further adds to the ease
> of finding the right window.

How is this suppose to help, at least me? I use my virtual desktops,
if the task bar gets crowded, I split up the tasks grouping them by
the tasks, why should at least I view the instances of the same
applications running?... what's the use? Each instance has it's own
objectives, since I'm working on them and that's why they've been
placed in separate desktops, I know what the instances are; how does
such a grouping make sense to me?... it fact it causes confusion, you
loose track of all the instances which are placed in other desktops
since it does not give info on which desktop which instance is it
running.

So I would like to know how does it help you with a real world scenario.

> I like the dynamics of workspaces, in that you open new ones as you need them.

That's the biggest drawback of gnome shell. To open a new application
you have to 'zoom out' of the current desktop (so you loose track of
your work by a bit), search around for you favorite application and
then run it as the desktop zooms in again.

Compare this to a simple click on the panel to launch your favorite
application which has been anchored there... how is shell efficient in
handling this?

>> 2) How do you find the gnome shell more productive than then classic Gnome DE?
>
> I find it easier to locate and manage running applications.

Again give a real world example. I've given you.

>> 3) How is gnome shell easier to use than KDE?
>
> If you mean window and application management, I have to confess that
> I find workspaces on KDE a bit borked. I have never understood them.
> In Gnome Shell they come very naturally.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand any aspect of gnome shell which
comes naturally.

> Also, while I like KWin for
> the most part, I do not like most of the compositing effects,
> especially not those available for window switching, which I think,
> again, are better in Gnome Shell.

Here I agree, the alt tab implementation is the best of the lot for
gnome shell but till now I think the idea poses no advantage at all.

> Moreover, the application menu in
> KDE is an abomination (but then I am one of those guys who love
> key-bindings for application launching) and I almost never have the
> patience to locate some obscure application in it.
I agree kick start is a bad, but lancelot has fixed that issue but
with a few new issues.