Re: Gnome objectives

> 1) Which features of the gnome shell do you consider more ergonomic
> than the classic gnome?

Alt+Tab for window switching is definately better than anything else
out there. It groups similar windows yet make it clear which window is
on what workspace. Very nice. Most other implementations are far too
busy. Right-clicking an application icon brings up all the currently
running instances of that application, which further adds to the ease
of finding the right window.

I like the dynamics of workspaces, in that you open new ones as you need them.

> 2) How do you find the gnome shell more productive than then classic Gnome DE?

I find it easier to locate and manage running applications.

> 3) How is gnome shell easier to use than KDE?

If you mean window and application management, I have to confess that
I find workspaces on KDE a bit borked. I have never understood them.
In Gnome Shell they come very naturally. Also, while I like KWin for
the most part, I do not like most of the compositing effects,
especially not those available for window switching, which I think,
again, are better in Gnome Shell. Moreover, the application menu in
KDE is an abomination (but then I am one of those guys who love
key-bindings for application launching) and I almost never have the
patience to locate some obscure application in it. Being
application-centric, I think the "Activities" organization is much
more promising than the classic divide between a launcher menu and a
panel indicating running windows.

That said, I do not think Gnome Shell is Heaven on Earth (yet), but I
found that I got used to it very quickly and miss it on most other
desktops.

/Andreas

>>> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57638&start=0