GSoC project question

I would like to create an alternate window management interface for Gnome 3 based on the Con10uum concept (http://10gui.com/video), but I don't know whether Gnome would sponsor the project. Here's the idea:

All windows would be tiled horizontally across the top edge of the screen at full screen height. The strip of windows would extend beyond the left and right edges of the screen; the user could access offscreen windows by scrolling left and right. The interface would be controlled traditionally with the mouse and keyboard; the workspace could be scrolled horizontally with a mouse's scroll ball, a scroll bar at the bottom of the screen, or keyboard shortcuts.

Could this be a Gnome GSoC project? Would I need to completely rewrite Gnome, or could I simply modify the window management behavior? I would appreciate your input.

--
Evan Kroske
http://welcome2obscurity.blogspot.com/