Re: Active Applications list

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Florian Müllner
<florian muellner gmail com> wrote:
> El vie, 25-06-2010 a las 01:17 +0200, Giovanni Campagna escribió:
>> Are you arguing that no problem exists at all with current Shell design?
>> I think it is not the case. Design should be clear, without the user
>> saying "yeah... I see you point... sometimes... still I don't pretty
>> much like it..." after reading the archives or listening to the
>> developer opinion.
>
> The design is crystal clear on that point:
>
> No optional components in the core. No moving around of core components.
> No exceptions.
>
> So instead of choosing between(*):
>  - an application-centric dock
>  - a windows-per-workspace list
>  - a global window list
>
> placed:
>  - alongside the application menu
>  - in the message tray
>  - at the left/right screen edge
>
> and enforcing it on all users(**), they are given a choice.
>
> Ain't that evil?

Yes, because you said it yourself: "no optional components in the
core". You're not giving the users a choice, you're taking it away
from them, by not having any kind of dock / window list / tray /
whatever in gnome-shell, optional or not.
You don't want users that *need* to download an extension just to get
their normal workflow, this is part of the design.

> Florian
>

>  (*) Only picking some of the sane suggestions, browse the archives
>     for the crack
> (**) It's pretty funny how all those comments are along the lines of:
>    "But users want a task list, and they happen to want
>     the same kind of task list I want, now isn't that a
>     coincidence!"

I agree they don't all want the same, but GNOME is known for picking a
side and keeping that. With this instead, you're putting no rapid
window management code at all (besides that which comes free with
mutter), and saying to all the users: go find the extension that suits
your needs.

Giovanni