Re: Active Applications list

I still haven't seen a valid reason not to integrate a window list of some form or other, I know that Gnome 3.0 is meant to be a reinvention of gnome but I can understand why people would be angry, every OS I can think of has an easy way of changing applications (often involving a window list) that can be accessed easily without having to 'zoom out' of what your doing and trying to find the application you want . . . which can be rather difficult if you have a lot of applications open at once, and also it can be very distracting, there have been many a time where this has broken my workflow, and whilst I mostly use alt + tab I find it frustrating the way that the alt+tab in gnome 3 handles multiple windows of the same application.

From: Milan Bouchet-Valat <nalimilan club fr>
To: Nick <soapduk gmail com>
Cc: gnome-shell-list gnome org
Sent: Thu, 24 June, 2010 11:53:29
Subject: Re: Active Applications list

Le jeudi 24 juin 2010 à 22:19 +1200, Nick a écrit :
> I propose some kind of active apps/tasks list that is displayed at all
> times. I get the feeling that the developers want to keep the
> panel/task bar (whatever it is being called) clutter free, so they are
> not going to want program names splattered across it. I think the
> solution would be to have smallish icons of the active apps/tasks
> displayed next to the activities button.
Hi and thanks for trying the Shell and reporting. This issue has been
discussed many times already on this list though, and designers and
developers don't have the time to answer again an again the same
concerns.

To be short: it's at the core or the Shell's design to work with the
overview rather than an application list. Though the Shell has a support
for optional extensions, so if somebody steps in and provides an
application list extension, this feature will be available for people
who feel the need for it. But not by default.

Sorry to be quick, but if you want more details, see the list archives
for the last few months:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-shell-list/
and be sure to read the design documents too:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design

Regards