Re: Gnome-Shell - questions and opinions

Il giorno gio, 30/12/2010 alle 12.20 +1100, Bojan Smojver ha scritto:
> On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 12:16 +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> > Just one comment here
>
> Ah, one more thing. I noticed that my pidgin and krb5-auth-dialog icons
> have gone to the bottom right corner for some reason. Shouldn't we group
> things in one place so that users don't have to travel to two different
> locations? After all, network manager, volume etc. are all in the top
> right location already.

No, this is explicitly part of the design. If you look closely at the
top left, you'll notice that volume, bluetooth, universal access and
power are different from network and keyboard. In fact they are native
shell indicators, using native popup menus instead of Gtk ones.

It is expected that all indicators in the top left will be replaced by
native ones, given due time (network is very complex because it has a
lot of features, while keyboard is missing an usable library to access
settings), but of course this means that only system related indicators
will survive, everything else has been moved bottom down.

Furthermore, it is expected that overtime status icons and systray icons
(in the sense of GtkStatusIcon and the freedesktop systray
specificiation) will be replaced by persistent libnotify notifications,
giving finally a consistent and clean experience.

For more (and official) information, look at
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Guidelines/SystemStatus

Giovanni