Re: Gnome-Shell - questions and opinions

Il giorno gio, 30/12/2010 alle 12.16 +1100, Bojan Smojver ha scritto:
> On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 23:50 +0100, Giovanni Campagna wrote:
> > Current (2.91.4 / git master) gnome-shell experience is very different
> > from the Fedora 14 packaged one (2.31.5).
>
> Just one comment here regarding switching workspaces using mouse only.
> Consider:
>
> 1. Travel to top left corner.
> 2. Travel all the way to the middle bottom.
> 3. Pick workspace you want.
> 4. Click on the window you want.

This is currently being addressed in the design, working code will come
with time.

> Here is a suggestion:
>
> In overview mode, just under Activities button, above favourites bar and
> to the left of Applications/Windows menu, there is enough space for a
> scaled down, pan enabled workspace (one workspace high) grid, showing
> all window positions the way they are. It would really help with quick
> workspace switching if we had it there.

I assume from your later mail that you already have seen the latest
mockups in gnome-shell-design. So why do you think that the workspace
grid on the top left is better than the vertical one on the right?

> PS. If number of workspaces is too large to fit in this scaled down
> grid, we can show left/right arrow on the vertical edges of this grid,
> which would pan the grid on mouseover. Writing workspace number as
> watermark on each of the workspaces would also be helpful.

If we pan, we lose the point of the workspace grid, which is seeing all
workspaces at the same time.

Giovanni