Re: Preview: how to see all workspaces?

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 3:53 AM, Bojan Smojver <bojan rexursive com> wrote:
If I am not mistaken the "grid mode" you are referring to is gone and is
replaced by the linear mode, where you only see the current workspace.

I find current cut of gnome-shell much worse than that included in F-14 (I think the version there is something like 2.31.5). I mean, simplicity is one thing, but when you can't see where your windows are, that's not good. Even good old workplace switcher is better than that. At least you can tell at all times where you need to go to do what you want.

The problem was that the grid mode didn't quite scale.  As you added more workspaces the preview got smaller and smaller and you couldn't manipulate the app windows anymore.  The linear mode solves the scalability problem but has some problems especially when it comes to window management that I don't like.  So it's good that we 're looking at other alternatives as I don't think the natives will like the current linear workspace setup as it is currently presented.  I filed some bugs on one or two of the problems.

 I was very excited about grid mode and was disappointed it when it was gone.  But everything is still work in progress.  But if you want to help influence, then I please get involved and help out.  Gotta pay to play sometimes :-)

sri