Re: Preview: how to see all workspaces?

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 10:53 -0800, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> The problem was that the grid mode didn't quite scale.  As you added
> more workspaces the preview got smaller and smaller and you couldn't
> manipulate the app windows anymore.

What are we expecting to see in real life here. Six workspaces? Eight?
Dozen? Dozens?

I get the scalability problem, but the real problem is visibility. You
need to be able to _see_ where your windows are. Even if you cannot
manipulate them right there, you should be able to at least _locate_
them.

Think workplace switcher in Gnome 2. I can see right now, near the top
of my screen (I run one panel, on top), where _all_ my windows are (see
attached). I reckon even that is better than current gnome-shell.

> The linear mode solves the scalability problem but has some problems
> especially when it comes to window management that I don't like.

Yeah, that's another problem. Because this mode means one workplace at a
time in overview, you cannot really manipulate windows at all, because
you cannot see past one workspace, so you don't know where you should be
going.

Why don't we fix the scalability problem by panning grid mode when
number of workplaces becomes too large. Or even by panning linear mode
after presenting, say, two workplaces. And, on top of that, by painting
little windows in the workplace place holders (little rectangles at the
bottom) in overview mode, just like we do with workplace switcher now.
It will help with locating of the windows a lot.

In any event, the main problem here is visibility. You need to be able
to see where your windows are. Anything less than that is a regression,
IMHO.

PS. Same deal with minimized windows. Either these should be accessible
from the workplace you're in (without going to overview), or the
functionality should be removed. No point confusing people.

--
Bojan