Re: [Usability] The Future of Window Borders, Menu Bars, and More

Le mercredi 01 décembre 2010 à 17:27 +0100, Johannes Schmid a écrit :
> > Can you tell us more about the issue with proxying menu through dbus?
> > Will the same technology be used if ever the AppMenu concept (with
> > more than just the existing "Quit" item, of course) is implemented?
>
> No the dbus stuff is used for libindicator (Ubuntu) and AFAIK also
> GlobalMenu. It is not used within gnome-shell which uses the new
> features of GtkApplication in Gtk+-3.0 for AppMenu.
I think that's what Allan was referring to. GtkApplication uses D-Bus to
export actions that can be shown by the app menu.

You should ask Colin (IRC: walters) if you want to know how this can be
used. Else, there is some technical information here:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gio/unstable/GApplication.html
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gio/unstable/GSimpleAction.html
But it's not very friendly, nor explicit about what you're supposed to
do with this.

My understanding is that apps will be able to implement actions, and
that the Shell will detect a few of them (those for which it knows the
name), and list them in the menu.

Regards