Re: Trying the shell

Reiner Jung wrote:
Greg K Nicholson wrote:
> No. The sidebar is planned to replace this functionality. (Mind, the
> sidebar is not even fully designed yet).

This is good to hear. However, what will happen to:
- gnote/tomboy
- system monitor applet
- Kill app
- Keyboard selector
etc.
>> * Is there a halfway point between showing on the currently active
>> window name next to "activities" on the top bar and the Windows style of
>> showing all open apps on the bar? Sometimes I need to remember what I'm
>> actually doing or have an easy way to flip back and forth among windows.
>> Alt-Tab isn't quite it.
>>

> The overview is supposed to do that. Click Activities or just point at
> the top-left corner.
>
> Showing only the current activity is intended to reduce distractions
> from other apps when you're focusing on a single task. It also removes
> the need for certain programs to “hide out of the way” in the
> notification area.

I think this is not a good idea, because when you think task oriented
you have more than one app open on a desktop. For example, when I work
there are sometime multiple shells open side by side, as well as some
notes from gnote. However, the screen is too small to show them all and
it would be too time consuming to switch desks just for the notes. In
these cases it is important that you can select the right window by
clicking on a button (e.g. window list)

This also happen to be a good idea in other scenarios, like working on a
text document and having additional infos in a note taking app. So you
want to have the notes and the document on the same screen, but you need
not to see all notes at once.

As the title-bar of the gnome shell is still empty (except for the
activities thing and some other stuff in the upper right corner) a
window list would be quite nice.

Using the activity button is not as good for switching apps in these
cases, because it always shows all desktops shrinked. This is too much
change in scenery just for information lookup in a note.

As modern UIs tend to become more integrated they also jumped back to an
old Unix philosophy small tools each designed to solve one problem. And
even large applications start to have popups and extra windows to hold
additional information. So I think it is important to help people to be
able to make these short lookups in a fast way. And these lookups
include, file browse and search, notes, events, short messages.

I have not a perfect solution for that. Maybe a bar could appear on
purpose showing a list of apps/windows on one desktop. BTW: The Alt-Tab
cycling is a typical Windows idea. It solves the window selection
problem in the worst way, because you have to remember your position
(the position of the current window in the list of windows) and you have
to known how often you have to say Alt-Tab to get o the target window.
You are faster with a clickable list.

Even though a classic window list (like in gnome right now) has some
disadvantages when many windows are open. So maybe a dropdown list in
the title-bar would be a nice asset.

Greetz
Reiner

p.s. And I have to say I am really impressed by the good work you have
done so far on the new gnome-shell. So do not take my critic as a troll
post I just want to share my thoughts and if you like them or if it
triggers an even better idea (i hope so) than it would have served a
purpose.

I wonder if a lot of the complaints about not having a window list couldn't be fixed by making the Alt-tab selector accessible from the mouse somehow, maybe with another hot corner, or a button somewhere...