Re: Get rid of the scrollbars

Hi!

I'm the one responsible for this scrollbar concept, later on renamed to
"dynamic scrollbars" because of complaints "popup" would be misleading.

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 10:59 +0100, Ross Smith wrote:

> The main change to me is that it's removing the page up/down feature
> that's hardly ever used (since some times it's a huge area, and some
> times it's tiny), and replacing it with the ability to grab anywhere &
> scroll.
>
> I'm not actually sure about having the up/down click arrows appearing,
> it's a nice idea, but it might be one that's a bit too clever for its
> own good.
>
> What I'm wondering is whether you could just use this to replace the
> page up/down with something better?  In fact, could you add that
> behaviour without breaking anything existing?
> - Single click in that area does page up/down as normal
> - Click and drag now scrolls

A number of people said that they do use the page up/down feature of
scrollbars. I changed the behavior after publishing the demo. If you now
click and hold on the trough, page-wise scrolling will happen after a
short delay. This way dragging still works with no unwanted scrolling.

Last version, which might behave in odd ways, resides at:
https://code.launchpad.net/~t-w-/+junk/dynamic_scrollbar

I started to implement a horizontal version and then stopped to instead
work on more rewarding projects (I'm not a GTK coder and hardly ever
will be ...)

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: