Re: Get rid of the scrollbars

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 4:48 AM, foss[ilized]
<fosslistmail googlemail com> wrote:
> Just a thought: one of the ugliest graphical items I see on almost all
> of today's desktop environments is the scrollbar.
>
> I think it's time to get rid of scrollbars. With the push toward
> "touch" computing, the scrollbar becomes a hindrance rather than an
> aid to navigation. Users with large, wide or "clumsy" fingers are at a
> disadvantage when trying to click, press or drag a scrollbar to pan
> (move) a window up, down, left or right.

The problem is not scrollbars... What you are searching for is an
easier way to scroll, I don't see why scrollbars have to be removed
for getting that.

You can still scroll by keyboard, by using the mouse wheel, using the
two finger dragging in touchpads and for touch screens you can also
propose a way for scrolling (ie. by double finger dragging in multi
touch screens).

But wanting to remove scrollbars is a totally different thing. If you
want to give more power to touch screens better propose an alternative
way, like having mouse gestures that you can use your fingers to
perform any task like that.

--
Fernando