Re: Idea for Gnome shell

What if we added a task list to the sidebar and got rid of the bottom panel? (Even when the sidebar is collapsed, we would show small tabs for each window. When it's open, we could even show window previews.)

Natan

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 23:44 +0200, Fernando wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Natan Yellin<aantny gmail com> wrote:
> >> I compiled gnome.shell and i find a third panel..i don't like it because
> >> i think gnome must be simple like always, i think using only one panel
> >> on the bottom, can be elegant and simple.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to fit everything necessary into
> > one panel.
>
> I don't like the new lateral panel too, imho it's unnecessary. The
> lateral panel doesn't seem to do anything that you can't do already in
> the overlay mode. It looks more like a competitor for doing exactly
> the same thing. If a lateral panel like this is needed then it means
> that the overlay mode is not working as a good launcher as it was
> intended to be.

The sidebar or "widget dock" that you are seeing is far from finished.

The current thinking is, it's:

 - A place for "fun" stuff
 - Optional
 - Configurable - both in what is in it, and where it is on the screen

A quick-launch area for launchers (to avoid going to the overview
screen) may be one of the things you can put there -  but it is unlikely
to be in the default configuration.

 http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Sidebar

Has some notes about open questions.

- Owen