Re: Idea for Gnome shell

On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 23:44 +0200, Fernando wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Natan Yellin<aantny gmail com> wrote:
> >> I compiled gnome.shell and i find a third panel..i don't like it because
> >> i think gnome must be simple like always, i think using only one panel
> >> on the bottom, can be elegant and simple.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to fit everything necessary into
> > one panel.
>
> I don't like the new lateral panel too, imho it's unnecessary. The
> lateral panel doesn't seem to do anything that you can't do already in
> the overlay mode. It looks more like a competitor for doing exactly
> the same thing. If a lateral panel like this is needed then it means
> that the overlay mode is not working as a good launcher as it was
> intended to be.

The sidebar or "widget dock" that you are seeing is far from finished.

The current thinking is, it's:

 - A place for "fun" stuff
 - Optional
 - Configurable - both in what is in it, and where it is on the screen

A quick-launch area for launchers (to avoid going to the overview
screen) may be one of the things you can put there -  but it is unlikely
to be in the default configuration.

 http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Sidebar

Has some notes about open questions.

- Owen