Re: Idea for Gnome shell

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Natan Yellin<aantny gmail com> wrote:
>> I compiled gnome.shell and i find a third panel..i don't like it because
>> i think gnome must be simple like always, i think using only one panel
>> on the bottom, can be elegant and simple.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to fit everything necessary into
> one panel.

I don't like the new lateral panel too, imho it's unnecessary. The
lateral panel doesn't seem to do anything that you can't do already in
the overlay mode. It looks more like a competitor for doing exactly
the same thing. If a lateral panel like this is needed then it means
that the overlay mode is not working as a good launcher as it was
intended to be.

In fact, I was using gnome-shell git version before the new lateral
panel appeared, and then I stopped using it. The lateral panel makes
the left column of the screen waste space. I don't see what's the
added benefit. Also I don't see whats the rush to add new panels when
the current top one isn't even used at 50%.

I'm currently using a single panel layout in my current GNOME 2.26
configuration, and I think that it would be a regression if
gnome-shell forced me to have two open panels (or 3 if the lower panel
is not removed). Without even an option to disable it. I think that
the additional lateral panel should be a external plugin that could be
easily disabled, and not merged with the rest of the program.

My GNOME panel configuration after I stopped using g-shell is:
top panel:  Applications(small)-Pager-TaskList-Volume-Systray-Clock

You may think that my tasklist has not enough space with systray and
clock etc, but in fact I usually don't even look at the tasklist. My
window switching is done by keyboard, tasklist is just offering me
visual feedback on how many windows there are in the workspace, if I
have too much it turns into a list of icons and thats enough for me.

If gnome-shell could have something like this (or equivalent, i.e.
overlay mode makes pager unneeded) I don't see why I would need any
additional panel. any kind of additional applet could be added as a
"screenlet" or something like that, instead of forcing everyone to use
another panel no matter if they would use it or not.

--
Fernando