Re: All GNOME Shell Developers.

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:58 AM, Reiner Jung <reiner jung uni-oldenburg de> wrote:
Hello Domen,

this top menu thing is not that confusing you are just not used to it.
This is one thing most people have to learn a bit when they switch from
Windows to MacOS.

I use OSX fairly often now since it is my work laptop these days.  I have always disliked the global menu as it's really kind of jarring to go up to the menu.  I can understand why it is done (a fixed location for all apps) but I find it difficult.  It is likely because I switch from Linux to OSX often and spend most of my time in Linux.  The end result is that I started using the keyboard shortcuts instead of the menu.  I hardly touch the apple menu or file menu or anything else.  I don't know if that is good or bad, but I dont't consider myself a typical user so I don't know if others are doing it.

My issue would be that too much change might cause GNOME users to get frustrated.  Global menus is a fairly big user change, and it should require a LOT of user testing before considering whether it is the best.

sri