Re: All GNOME Shell Developers.

@Danté Ashton:

I'm using gnome-shell at home most of the time ever since I heart about it when Ubuntu 9.10 came out. Since I'm used to working on 3 to 4 tasks at a time ( yes I don't like to turn off my computer and only put it in hibernation ) it felt natural to use one workspace for every task that was working on - 3 workspaces with two to three apps opened and one workspace for firefox.

Why that is interesting is that I didn't like to have everything opened on one workspace ( like I have at work on Windows XP - about 11 to 14 apps at a time on same workspace ) but also I wasn't able to get used to switching between workspaces in gnome. With gnome-shell it felt natural from the start so I would suggest that you try gnome-shell for yourself for a week or something and see how this concept suits you.

As far as I'm concerned it's not perfect but at least then you'll be able to tell what's bothering you exactly and why and perhaps even propose a few solutions.

@Денис Черемисов:

As far as I know this mailing list is here for constructive discussion and opinions about gnome shell so please if you are bitching around here like a little girl ( I apologise to all the little girls ) without even one constructive thought. I don't mind you saying this thing sucks big time but at least write something like:

This sucks because before it was so and so and had this advantages and this drawbacks but now it is implemented so and so and it has only this as an advantage and all of this as a drawback.

regards,
Domen

2009/12/19 Денис Черемисов <denis cheremisov net>
Haven't you realized yet that is entirely bad idea about the current gnome-shell? It both sucks to people who doesn't use workspace before (they won't use them in this stuff), and for people who used it (they need _fixed_ workspace combination, not dynamic one). Guys, you better drop this idiotic approach and try to make something useful instead of this ugly slow overlayish horror. I always feel only regressions in usability when I'm trying it: grouped alt+tab sucks, the lack of taskbar, always need to enter ugly overlay to launch something.

2009/12/19 mac_v <drkvi-a yahoo com>

On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 23:53 +0000, Bob Hazard wrote:
> You are not supposed to use the Browse menu for launching imho, it is
> for discovery.
>
> If an app is not in my favourites I usually launch it by typing the
> first three letters and pressing enter; the search box automatically
> has focus when you bring up the overlay.

Are you seriously suggesting that the user has to always use keyboard
and then launch apps to make use of the shell better ?

The shell design is more keyboard friendly.. and thought seems to be
going only with making keyboard use better.
Which is good .

But saying that the user needs to use the keyboard to do an action
quicker is not very ideal.

Both the keyboard-only and mouse-only users have to be able to do the
same action in the easiest/quickest possible way. And forcing either
user to change their behavior because the keyboard/mouse offers a
quicker alternative isnt very ideal.

IMO , categories were much more easier than scrolling through the whole
list of apps.

Also , we need to find an easier way to trigger the Alt+Tab behavior
with a mouse , it is more essential now as we have removed the taskbar.
And Zooming out for a simple app switch [within the same desktop] feels
a highly distracting .
Maybe from right-clicking application menu? [the menu that is to be
displayed from the app name]

--
Cheers,
Vishnoo