Re: All GNOME Shell Developers.

On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 14:43 -0800, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

> In the old method, it would take me 3 clicks to launch an application:
> Applications->section->App
>
> so that is three clicks.
>
> In gnome-shell method, we have:
>
> * 1 click for common used apps

Actually , with gnome panel we can have launchers right on the panel and
it was just 1 click away.

Though i like the hot corner , how discoverable is it? When i first
started using the shell , it was something i accidentally stumbled upon.

A user shouldnt have to read a manual to use the UI , so i would
consider it 2clicks to launch the fav apps in the shell.  ;)

> * 2 clicks for any other apps
>
> I don't consider going to the overview mode as a click.  But if you
> did, it would still be 2 or 3 clicks which is equivalent to the old
> method.
>
> Initially there was categories for the apps, but was changed to a flat
> scheme which reduced the number of key clicks.

The removal of categories made the list of installed impossibly
long :(.. not really an improvement.

Scrolling is worse than moving the mouse to reveal sub-menu  , as the
user cant really see the list of apps but has to search more for the
apps.
Rather than a task based approach it has been moved to alphabetical
sorting.

However , rather than simply sorting the apps alphabetically , we could
just move apps the user launches more frequently to the top.
ie: if an app has been launched 3-4 times but starts with a "z" , it
needs to be easier to access and present at the top rather than to ask
the user to scroll to the bottom of the list.

--
Cheers,
Vishnoo