Re: Building the default desktop

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 10:04:11AM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> 	I'm starting to get some mad notions that having all this in GConf
> doesn't really make sense. Why aren't panel's basically just folder
> views (like the desktop) showing you a representation of what's in the
> folder. Positions would be stored in the file metadata, you lock the
> panel by making the directory non writable etc.
>
> 	This totally doesn't answer the question of how a sysadmin can add
> extra things to an existing users panel but it does make it the same
> question as how to add extra stuff to an existing user's desktop :-)

Well, you're getting somewhat blue-sky here. Certainly unifying the
desktop/nautilus code and the panel code so both are containers for
the same set of things would be nice, it'd be good for usability too.

While you're at it, why not make the "applets" that appear in these
things a more long-term supportable and desktop-independent kind of
object. ;-)

Havoc