Re: [gpm] New preferences UI

On 12/18/06, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 srcf ucam org> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:12:13PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:

> Well, I for one get a >200ms latency when I click the menus (i.e. less
> snappy) when I'm scaled down to 1GHz - and I've noticed conservative and
> ondemand take quite a while to "ramp up" when the cpu load goes up. Some
> people might also not want the computer to scale at all.

Ondemand really shouldn't take any appreciable time to ramp up on any
hardware that supports it.

> Maybe these are all just excuses - maybe we should just say
> "ondemand" (or conservative if available) for battery power, and
> "performance" on AC. It would sure make the difficult to explain problem
> option in the UI unnecessary.

I'm really still sceptical about the need for performance on AC.
Switching to ondemand by default has significant environmental benefits
- the last release of Ubuntu did so, and we don't seem to have had any
complaints.

What about as a compromise doing on demand by default, not anything in
the GUI and a gconf key power users might change if their hardware
does not function like it should do.

Jaap