Re: [gpm] New preferences UI
- From: Matthew Garrett <mjg59 srcf ucam org>
- To: Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com>
- Cc: gnome-power-manager-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: [gpm] New preferences UI
- Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:23:53 +0000
On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:12:13PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Well, I for one get a >200ms latency when I click the menus (i.e. less
> snappy) when I'm scaled down to 1GHz - and I've noticed conservative and
> ondemand take quite a while to "ramp up" when the cpu load goes up. Some
> people might also not want the computer to scale at all.
Ondemand really shouldn't take any appreciable time to ramp up on any
hardware that supports it.
> Maybe these are all just excuses - maybe we should just say
> "ondemand" (or conservative if available) for battery power, and
> "performance" on AC. It would sure make the difficult to explain problem
> option in the UI unnecessary.
I'm really still sceptical about the need for performance on AC.
Switching to ondemand by default has significant environmental benefits
- the last release of Ubuntu did so, and we don't seem to have had any
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 srcf ucam org
] [Thread Prev