Re: [gpm] New preferences UI

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 20:52 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 01:58:19PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 21:16 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've been playing with the new preferences UI in the 2.17 releases, and
> > > so far I'm not especially keen.
> >
> > Have a look that the attached image.
>
> That's definitely better, but it still seems to have support for setting
> the CPUfreq governer. On any modern hardware, what's the use case for
> this being anything other than ondemand?

Well, I for one get a >200ms latency when I click the menus (i.e. less
snappy) when I'm scaled down to 1GHz - and I've noticed conservative and
ondemand take quite a while to "ramp up" when the cpu load goes up. Some
people might also not want the computer to scale at all.

Maybe these are all just excuses - maybe we should just say
"ondemand" (or conservative if available) for battery power, and
"performance" on AC. It would sure make the difficult to explain problem
option in the UI unnecessary.

What does everyone else think?