Re: [gpm] Re: Gnome 2.16 Module Proposal: GNOME Power Manager

> > Richard,
> >

> > As far as I understand the code of GPM splitting up GPM in a "daemon"
> > and a "notication area icon"/applet would not be so hard.
> >
> > They are pretty independent from each other.
> >
> > The "daemon" just has to watch batteries, laptop lid, hardware keys and
> > take appropriate actions etc. If people run the daemon then they get all
> > the power management features.
> >
> > The applet/"notification area icon" just needs to watch the batteries
> > (code of the daemon can be reused :-) )and show the status by changing
> > it's icon and displaying notifications.
> >
> > The only message I see that the "daemon" might want to send to the
> > applet is a message that the system is going to suspend/hibernate and
> > that is already something we want to do to notify other apps that the
> > system is going to suspend/sleep and that they need to take appropriate
> > actions if necessary.
> >
> > So in my opinion it's not that difficult, or am I missing something?
>
> But what's the point?

1. It's good design to split up parts which are doing different things
( You can also put all your code in one source file, but that's not good
design )

2. An applet would be much more consistent with how GNOME works at the
moment. If I want to add something to the panel I just add there by
doing "Add to panel" and if I want to remove it I choose "Remove from
panel". GNOME unlike windows luckily doesn't put many stuff
automagically in the panel :-)

Jaap