[gpm] Gnome 2.16 Module Proposal: GNOME Power Manager

GNOME Power Manager is a session daemon that makes it easy to manage the
power on your laptop or desktop system.

I'm sure most of you are aware of GNOME Power Manager[1], as it was
proposed for the last 2.14 release but rejected. It was mentioned on the
2.14 release notes, in the "looking forward" section[4].

Since the original announcement mail about gnome-power-manager, we have
moved the mailing list to gnome.org, are now hosted on gnome.org, and am
starting to integrate with other parts of the GNOME application stack.
Lots of new functionality has been added, and lots of polish has been
applied. See the screenshots area of my website[5] for some cool
screenshots of the latest stuff in the 2-15 branch.

The Wiki[2] provides loads more details for common FAQ's.

So for the 2.15 release cycle I would like you all to consider
gnome-power-manager for inclusion; without being part of "core" gnome
makes it difficult to integrate with other software, for instance the
inhibit interface that could be used by nautilus[3] or other software.

Most of the main distro's use gnome-power-manager. Fedora core 5
released with gnome-power-manager installed by default, and Ubuntu is
carrying it in the "core" package set for dapper.

gnome-power-manager depends on DBUS, HAL, cairo, and libnotify (is
really optional but thoroughly recommended).

So, what do you all think?

Richard Hughes.

[1] http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-power-manager/
[2] http://live.gnome.org/GnomePowerManager