Re: [gpm] Re: Gnome 2.16 Module Proposal: GNOME Power Manager

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 14:47 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 21:29 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 01:47:12PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> >
> > > Since the original announcement mail about gnome-power-manager, we have
> > > moved the mailing list to gnome.org, are now hosted on gnome.org, and am
> > > starting to integrate with other parts of the GNOME application stack.
> > > Lots of new functionality has been added, and lots of polish has been
> > > applied. See the screenshots area of my website[5] for some cool
> > > screenshots of the latest stuff in the 2-15 branch.
> >
> > I would like to see g-p-m fragmented into three parts.
> >
> >  * A daemon with no GTK+ dependance that would be suitable for
> >    cross-desktop use
> >  * A capplet (this exists today)
> >  * A notification area icon (libnotify dependance goes here)
>
> Umm, no.
>
> The IPC between these components would be horrific and over-complicated
> for no actual gain. KDE are quite happy with their own power management
> applications, and no KDE developer has ever mentioned to me that they
> would want such a cross-desktop daemon.

Richard,

As far as I understand the code of GPM splitting up GPM in a "daemon"
and a "notication area icon"/applet would not be so hard.

They are pretty independent from each other.

The "daemon" just has to watch batteries, laptop lid, hardware keys and
take appropriate actions etc. If people run the daemon then they get all
the power management features.

The applet/"notification area icon" just needs to watch the batteries
(code of the daemon can be reused :-) )and show the status by changing
it's icon and displaying notifications.

The only message I see that the "daemon" might want to send to the
applet is a message that the system is going to suspend/hibernate and
that is already something we want to do to notify other apps that the
system is going to suspend/sleep and that they need to take appropriate
actions if necessary.

So in my opinion it's not that difficult, or am I missing something?

Jaap

P.S. Also Network Manager uses this splitup between daemon and
notification icon